Saturday, February 26, 2011

725 Penny Pickup

I think the only thing my mother and I have in common is our ability to worry. Actually,... I know that's the only thing we have in common. We are so good at worrying that we could start our own business... Tagline: "Worried? Don't Be. Allow Us.

I woke up this morning feeling fine... but there's something about Saturdays that just...stress me out a little so what do I do? I check my bank account. This helps nothing. Paying bills, transferring funds, all of that... should make said bank account holder feel good...feel responsible. It doesn't. It makes said bank account holder feel like she just... no no...wait a second here... wait a hot second. Holy crap. I forgot. I still have birthday money coming! Oh THANK GOD!!!! Are you starting to see how my brain functions? Parents are thinking "Jesus Christ Lindsay..." and then they're thinking "Can't believe she's blogging about this.... why would she want anyone to know her brain functions this way?" but... here's why... I can only budget what I have. Not what I don't have. And then there's the... I have no filter thing... (and everyone knows that so lets just get over it and move on).... Anyway...

You know when you quit smoking one of the things people love to tell you is how much money you're going to save. Well... that only makes you feel good if you felt like what you were spending your money on sucked... and I never did so I didn't give it a second thought. The fact that I've paid as much as 12 dollars for a pack (I was in Manhattan) meant nothing except that I have expensive habits. I'm sure my income has increased a fair amount with the whole quitting thing but I couldn't tell you...because all I see is that with more money comes more responsibility. When I have money, I hate spending it. When I don't....I find a way to get it and then spend the shit out of it. I just got paid so that means I turn into Scrooge. (Parents rolling eyes now, shaking heads in disbelief...but it's true. The freak out may only last a couple days but it does in fact happen).

In college I can remember buying one pack of cigarettes with a sack of pennies that I had found all over my dorm room. I was so proud of myself... and my...ingenuity (And my parents think I don't know the value of a dollar... hehehe) That pack was 7 dollars and 25 cents, and I thought... this guy better take my money or we're gonna play 725 penny pickup right here in this bodega, and I'm gonna let him win. Then I'm gona take my pack of Marlboro Lights... and smoke two...right on his step. But he took the pennies... actually he laughed and said, "Hey money is money... especially when you smoke." Thinking back on this episode... I'm so glad I don't have to do that again. Pennies take up way too much space in your wallet... and most of the time they're disgusting looking...like dirty...

Anyway, the point of this blog post? I don't know but I have shit to do. Like adult responsibility shit. So I'm going to go do it, but if you think of what the point of this blog post was...shoot me a comment and let me know.

PS: I do feel a little less stressed now that I wrote this... Hah! ...Pennies... ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment